Post by Matt Culpepper on Dec 30, 2010 9:14:18 GMT -5
Thanks guys. To be honest I researched nothing for underhood panels and just jumped in my own way (head first). I looked at the LRS panels now and they look identical to what I ended up with. Given the coverage I would guess it wouldn't save much work over what I did. There are a few holes not covered by the patches I made but I filled the extras and moved on. Excluding all time...which I keep on a different tally... heres the list of what it costs for the underhood smoothing 7lb can of bondo $20 spot putty $8 guessing $10 of welding wire $47 of mig gas (I used a whole tank of 75% argon/25%CO2) I did 4 coats of black but started with a gallon so I probably used about $10 3 coats of clear from a gallon so I'm in the $15 area there. $10 for misc. sandpaper, mixing cups, ect _________________________________ $120 to create something I'm scared to put an engine in now.
Not terrible just an insane amount of time since I felt clueless through the entire process. lol
Post by oneowner88lx on Jan 2, 2011 21:04:10 GMT -5
That engine compartment looks outstanding!! Definately worth all the work. When dropping the engine in blankets, lots of them, are your friend. With lots of blankets and towels you'll be able to get it all together without scratching.
'88 LX 5.0 5 spd 3:08 rear Conv (mine) '86 SVO (wifes) '88 LX hatch 2.3 turbo 5 spd 8.8 373 rear (sons)
Post by Matt Culpepper on Mar 29, 2011 22:24:00 GMT -5
No real good updates yet. School keeps me busy I've been working on the cooling system here and there. Thats actually been a bunch of work. I'll write up all the parts but the gist is that I removed all the clamp style hoses and went to AN hard connections and remote water pump. All the welding is done, I just need to drop the radiator and intercooler off for cleaning and I can work on the final install of all of that stuff.
Post by Matt Culpepper on May 12, 2011 23:24:27 GMT -5
Im back at it. I hope to get it all done except for wiring by the end of this month. Cooling system is mostly done, trans is sealed up final, need to still build engine and assemble it all. I've been stuck waiting on parts and machine work. I should have a bunch to add here though the next few weeks.
thats fine. right now i need to figure out this wiring harness so it can even move on its own power. i would be more than obliged to line up to you one day however. hopefully by next season i will have all the goodies in it
Post by Matt Culpepper on May 15, 2011 20:50:16 GMT -5
It at least looks more like a complete the car with a dash and steering wheel in place. Since the pics are in a row its easy to see what I was working on. I also spent a little while sorting out the huge mess of a wires. All the harnesses were pulled and stuffed in the trunk 2 years ago so I'm going through cleaning them up and minimizing.